"...give a warm welcome to Michael Bunker, the new Tom Clancy of post-apocalyptic fiction."
"Fantastic writing… excellent, well-crafted and imaginative...
It is rare that someone has such aptitude to interweave so many elements into their work, that it not only conveys a very important message, but it is also a true pleasure to read. Your well-developed characters, the really well considered plot, timing and flow of narrative have really helped in creating a true masterpiece. You really made me stop and think about a life that is possibly lurking not far in the future, when having almost instant access to people, places and material possessions would be impossible.
About the Book
Michael Bunker, author of the Amazon.com bestselling non-fiction book Surviving Off Off-Grid and the Wick saga, would like to introduce you to one of the most exciting, heart-pounding, and unique novels to come around in a generation. More than your typical post-apocalyptic faire, The Last Pilgrims could well be one of the most important and prescient novels of our time. Twenty years in the future is five-hundred years in the past. It is just two decades after the worldwide societal collapse and the Vallenses, an Amish-like “plain people” living and surviving in what was once Central Texas, are under attack by the King of Aztlan and his armies. The pacifistic Vallenses are defended by the shadowy Ghost Militia and their inspiring leader Phillip, a militant freeman who wages a guerilla war with Aztlan.
Jonathan Wall and the thriving agrarian community of Vallenses have prospered by living the simple and sustainable ways of the past. In a massively depopulated world, balkanization is a reality and monarchy is back. A corrupt kingdom arises, led by a king who cannot abide freemen on lands that he covets. Just as the Vallenses send off a plea to the benevolent King of the South States, a mysterious assassin misses his target: Jonathan Wall.
Phillip “the Ghost” is on a personal mission to save the Vallenses – even if it is against their will, while Jonathan’s own son David and his fearless teenage daughter Ruth are led to challenge their pacifistic upbringing and question whether or not the time has come for the Vallenses to fight for the land, the people, and the God they love.
The Last Pilgrims is a modern re-telling of the forgotten history of the Ancient Waldenses - simple farmers who lived in the valleys of the Alps for hundreds of years despite repeated attempts to annihilate them. Full of tragedy, adventure, humor, and love, The Last Pilgrims is a rare post-apocalyptic saga that takes history and casts it into the future, while examining that future in light of the errors of the present and the past.
Also, you may enjoy the all new prequel Wick series that explores life before and during the collapse establishes the world of The Last Pilgrims. Click on any of the books below to go to them on Amazon.com.
Watch the exciting book trailers!
Below are some previews for the all new Wick saga.
What People are Saying...
- Take equal parts of several genres (western, spy novel, military action, suspense, medieval romance and post-apocalyptic), blend them all together into a rousing adventure tale and you have this first novel by Michael Bunker. - James Berry
- "I'm HOOKED! -William
- "You are making this too good. I'm almost in despair that each chapter end forces me to wait before I get more story. It's like waiting for next week's installment of LOST..." -Ryan
- "Wow, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole battle! I think it just keeps getting better." - Roger
- “Every chapter I read becomes my new favorite! It was very interesting to get such a personal account of what happened after the crash… I think The Last Pilgrims will help more people see the error in their belief that they can "wait it out" until things get back to normal.” - Joleen
- "...if you are looking for some good fiction I definitely recommend getting a copy of The Last Pilgrims. I can wholeheartedly say the story itself stands on its own as engaging, well-rounded, and well written." - Shannon, Nourishing Days Read the full review
- "...I can tell you, very simply, that the story drew me in and it didn’t disappoint me. There is a lot of action, and intrigue, and twists and turns to to the tale. The characters are interesting and, in some cases, very endearing. All the great themes that you want in a good book are in The Last Pilgrims" - Herrick Kimball, The Deliberate Agrarian Read the full review
- "...in The Last Pilgrims Michael Bunker brings to the forefront the error in our present-day society’s ‘normalcy bias’ way of thinking and our reliance on technology and equipment to get us through what most doubt will ever happen - a total societal collapse. He demonstrates through the Vallenses Community the benefit of education, knowledge and acquired skills for when, not if, a collapse will happen – in someone’s future." - SurvivorJane.com Read the full review
Check out the full Reviews page!
Does one of the following sound like you?
- You like The Hunger Games books or are excited about the The Hunger Games movie
- You are interested in off-grid living, sustainable practices, or agrariansim
- You like historical or war fiction (or Stonewall Jackson)
- You like post-apocalyptic fiction (but are turned off by unrealistic scenarios and conspiracies)
- You wonder what life would look like in a post-collapse world
- You liked the Jericho T.V. Series (read Gwen's review from Save Jericho! on FB)
- You speculate about life after economic collapse
- You like action/adventure fiction
- You like plot twists/turns that you can't see coming
- You like Texas (the central location where the action takes place)
- You like fiction that makes you examine an issue on many levels
- You like a book that has a good balance of male and female characters
- You like characters that are realistic
- You like stories you can read to the whole family
- You like humor mixed in with the drama
- You just like a good story
Then this book is for you.